What To Expect
Mission and Outreach focused
Sunday Services under 2 hours
We hold the bible in high esteem! We believe it is the word of God. We believe there is one true and living God. We believe this same God manifested Himself in the form of a man named Jesus of Nazareth who died for the sins of humanity and was resurrected from the dead and lives eternally. We believe that without Jesus, humankind is lost.
Our beliefs can summarized in the "Apostle's Creed".
We believe in God the Father, Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His Only Son our Lord, who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucifed, dead, and buried. But on the 3rd day, arose from the grave and ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there, He shall judge the quick and the dead.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the universal church, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
Our goal is to minister to the social, spiritual, and physical development of all people. Simply, we strive to seek out and save the lost, and to serve the needy.
The ultimate purposes are:
To make available God’s biblical principles,
To spread Christ’s liberating gospel, and
To provide continuing programs which will enhance the entire social development of all people.
In October 1880, St. Luke began with a small group of people who met house to house as a prayer band in the Goose Hill Neighborhood which was also known as the “Stockyards District” in 1880. With an undeniable determination to worship as a group, even though they belonged to different denominations this small band of Christians continued to meet and pray.
In 1887, Rev. Harvey officially organized the St. Luke A.M.E. Church in a small building located on Goose Hill. It was under the leadership of Rev. William Collins that the congregants purchased their first building on the corner of Seventh and St. Louis Avenue. The church membership grew.
In 1900, the St. Luke membership, along with Rev. S.B. Jones entertained the Illinois Annual Conference for the first time. This was quite an honor for such a small church. Rev. Jones was followed by Rev. Stone, Rev. John Smith, and Rev. W.A. Searcy. As the city grew, so did St. Luke’s membership. It became obvious that the church needed a larger facility. In December 1923, Pastor J.M. Haskell and the officers of the church, successfully secured the purchase of a building [Judson Hall] at Thirteenth and Broadway. In 1924, St. Luke entertained the Illinois Annual Conference for the second time. The congregation grew and made an impact on the community as a beacon light for Christians to cultivate their souls.
In September 1951, Rev. Ernest P. Williams was appointed as pastor of St. Luke. Under his leadership, the congregation thrived. A few years later, it became apparent St. Luke would have to relocate. On Sunday, October 23, 1960, Rev. Williams, Rev. Russell A. Brown (Bishop Joseph J. Gomez’s Representative) and the members of the church marched from 13th and Broadway to the present location for the dedicatory service.
After Rev. Williams, Rev. W.E. Wharton initiated the St. Luke Complex- that now includes the church, the parsonage, the parking lot, and the St. Luke Apartments, a non-profit Federal housing project. In addition to Wharton, Rev.'s C.E. Carr, W.R. Stewart, Dr. John Q. Owens, Emmanuel Leak, Keith Mitchell, Anthony Vinson, Samuel Sumner, Charles Orr, Willie Clemmons,Derek Bastien, Ralph Jackson, and Steve Perkins have served as pastors.
Today, as we worship and praise God in this 21st Century, we are blessed to have as our current pastor, Rev. Damon Mitchell, a Spirit-filled man of God. To God Be the Glory for the things He has done!